Time passing by digital drives tend to wear out and corrupt just like everything else in real life.
Today I will show you a simple, but a little hacky way to fix some weird behaviours of your digital drive.
- Random disconnections
- Strange overheating
- Drive size is less than expected
- Read and write operations fail
Before you trow your unlucky drive into the trash, you should give a try to this!
HOW TO Fix corrupted drives?
You have to use Windows command prompt also known as CMD.
Do not be scared, it is super easy.
- Connect the corrupted hard drive, USB or SD card to your computer.
- Hover your mouse on the Start button and right-click.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin). A CMD window will open.
- Type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter. A list of all the storage devices connected to your computer will be displayed.
- Type select disk < the number of your disk > and press Enter. (Example: select disk 1). Important: Make sure you enter the number correctly. Otherwise, you may format your internal hard drive or something else. You can type list disk again to check whether you are going correctly. There will be a star (asterisk symbol) just before the name of the selected disk.
- Issue clean and press Enter.
- Type create partition primary and hit Enter.
- Issue active.
- Type select partition 1.
- Issue format fs=fat32 ( or anyother format you’d like to use ) and press Enter. The format process will finish in a few minutes or less. For instance, you can write NTFS instead of fat32 if you want to carry files larger than 4 Gigabytes. Don’t close the CMD until the work is finished.
If you missed: HOW TO install every OS on USB drive
If you correctly followed all these steps, you’ll have a brand new drive, clean as crystal water.
Of course, this method will fix any kind of virtual corruption or bad sectors in it. If the problems persist you should consider buy something new! (Have you ever heard about a 400GB Micro SD card?)